Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cranberry Cream Scones - Sol

I have a bag of Fresh (well Frozen now, but not dried) cranberries in my freezer that I'd like to use in some delicious baked good before the holiday season is all but a memory. Meaning, I have to do it NOW! It's almost mid-January for goodness sake!

Anyway, I've scoured the interwebs and there aren't many fresh cranberry recipes that like. Many use these lovely red berries as simply a supporting player to apples or with chocolate; I want them to be the star of the show! These tart, round, delicious berries deserve it. After all I shoved them in the freezer because I had no clue what to do with them.

I did find one recipe that sounds delicious and I've seen db's raving about it. Normally I'd just "pin it" to my recipe board. But I can't find this recipe with pictures ANYWHERE!

So, since I can't find it anywhere and because I truly love the food/cooking/baking blogs and to eat/cook/bake myself I am going to do my very first baking post!


Sol's Cranberry Cream Scones - I originally found it here posted by marigene (thanks!!) (apparently to die for, i'm getting very excited! Aren't you?)

2 cups unsifted flour, plus flour for dusting

1/3 cup sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup fresh cranberries

1 1/3 cups heavy cream

1 tablespoon each melted butter and confectioners' sugar

- Position the oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix the cranberries into the flour mixture.

- Fold the whipped cream into the dry ingredients, just until it forms a rough, semi-cohesive mass.

- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead gently, only a few times, until the dough holds together. Lightly flour your hands and pat the dough into an 8" circle on a lined baking sheet (I place the dough on a baking stone, lined with parchment). Brush the surface with the butter and sprinkle with the powdered sugar*

- Cut circle into 10 wedges, without detaching them. And bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden.

- Cut into the pre-marked wedges after they're baked.

On the way home today, I'm going to pick up the heavy cream and butter (yay, dairy) and I'll document my adventure tonight!


Hopefully they'll look like this ...











But they'll probably end up something like this ...



No comments: