Monday, February 23, 2009

More on life...

Hey,

So I have decided to pause and transfer... i'll explain.
I have realized that research is not what I want to do; It just doesn't make me happy, in fact I think that's why I've been so blah. I think that counseling psych would be a better fit for me. So in order to do that I have 2 options: 1 - finish this degree and then apply and start a brand new program elsewhere, 2- stop working on this degree, and transfer my credits to another program. I chose to do the latter for a number of reasons. Most salient being that I will be much more happy in a counseling psych program. Also, I dont think having the extra degree will help me AND i'd be miserable for the next 6 months if I kept going. This way I dont have to finish a thesis, and I can be working towards qualifing to sit for the liscencing exam (which I cant do with a research degree).

Now, I've decided to get a job in the mean time and apply to universities to start in the fall. I've applied to a bunch of jobs, interviewed for one last week and got an offer this morning. Yay. I'll have a salary (woo an income - finally!), health insurance and a secure position. I will be working with kids who have just been released from hospital and require behavior modification but have not been placed with wraparound services yet. Its a perfect position for me and I am really excited to start. One of the perks is that I am starting after the winter term ends, so I dont have to worry about not finish/getting credit for this term. Not to mention, that I am really excited for a change in environment.

Now I just have to worry about burn-out - I was told it is the biggest risk associated with lower lever (as in not PhD-level) mental health professionals.

Hello world! Here I come...

No comments: